Walking to Work: Fox, Geese, Ducks...




Walking to work in winter can be annoying when it's cold, or even worse, rainy. I have been trying to walk at least three days a week, and it's about 3 miles each way, so I am aiming for at least 18 to 24 miles a week. The walk, mostly along the greenbelt, is very pleasant. Callie comes with me and stays at the office, which we both enjoy a great deal.

This past Wednesday morning we came across a fox in Ann Morrison Park (photo above). The fox checked out Callie and I for a bit and then trotted off. I can't tell if it's the same one that visits our back yard nearly every night, driving the dogs into spasms of protective barking.

Every day there are tons of geese and ducks in the park, and they seem to know Callie is on a leash and no threat. She shows remarkably little interest in them given that she could be prone to want to herd them up. As we approach, they sort of collectively waddle away, slowly.

Although it can be a pain when we walk in 18 degree weather, or rain, overall I like it. The river is gorgeous, the animals are serene, the mountain views are fantastic, and I like watching Callie notice all the squirrels and other dogs and not misbehave and try to chase them! I am doing it for the exercise and to exercise Callie, but it doesn't hurt the whole saving gas/global warming thing either.

Comments

Popular Posts