A Broccoli Recipe for Broccoli Haters

I like more vegetables as I try hard to find ways to prepare them that don't make me gag. As a lifelong vegetable hater, I have to really try to force myself to try new preparations and new vegetables. Substantial progress has been made in the last few years, but it's rare I find a vegetable I actually like - let alone love - as opposed to falling into the category of "I can tolerate it and make myself eat it once in awhile."

This past summer I ate at a restaurant in Portland, OR which had roasted broccoli. I have to say, it was the best dish on the table and it was stunningly good. I never before even liked broccoli, and I loved that broccoli! I made up my mind to find a roasted broccoli recipe and experiment to recreate the masterpiece.

Then I got busy, and might have forgotten about the quest for some time, had it not been for America's Test Kitchen. They came out with a roasted broccoli recipe in the current addition, and I have to say, the results are killer good. You can find the recipe here, but not for long, as after a time you have to subscribe to see their content. So either click and print, or get this month's issue (Jan/Feb 2008).

If you don't already know about America's Test Kitchen, they publish the magazine Cook's Illustrated, and also a number of books, including America's Best Recipes. They are like cooking scientists, they try variation after variation of a recipe to get the perfect mix of ingredients and the perfect preparation. In many years of trying their recipes I have only ever had one that didn't come out 4 or 5 stars. You can count on them for fantastic recipes, to the point that it's the only source of a recipe I would make for guests without trying it out first. If you haven't been getting the magazine, try it out, you'll love it if you like to cook. They also rate kitchen gadgets and equipment.

Unfortunately, they don't include nutrition information, they are not always low-fat )or even most of the time) and they are decidedly not vegan or vegetarian most of the time. They are focused on the best tasting food though, and when you have a craving for a dish you haven't made before they are a great resource.

Their broccoli roasting tests paid off with a fabulous recipe and I challenge even broccoli haters to find it distasteful. It's a dish I actually look forward to eating - despite it being green. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Comments

Popular Posts