Bryce Canyon National Park

 
      The last national park of our Grand Canyon trip was Bryce Canyon.  When we arrived, it was in the middle of a late March snowstorm and shortly before sunset.  Since it was sunny and warm in Zion National Park that same afternoon, this was a surprise! However, with elevations 8000 feet plus, it was just a different environment.  We had about 30 minutes in the park before we headed to our hotel.  At the end of the day and the end of the storm, with the last of the light, we were treated to a rainbow. 
       The next day we spent about a half a day in the park, which was enough to go to each checkpoint and also wait out some periods where there were white out conditions.  By now, the dogs were getting tired of posing - they strained into the wind, closed their eyes into the snow, and griped about not being allowed to romp in the snow.  We kept looking for a nice photo spot, but in this park, most of the overlooks have a fence that blocks the view at dog/kid height.  Thus, the photo backdrops are less than completely impressive - though I still think the dogs are cute.
      Bryce offers a lot of interesting scenery.  I don't think I'm a good photographer, and I am sure if I were I could have gotten a lot of amazing images, but even with a very basic point and shoot I got some images I like.  The contrasts in color and texture and shape are varied and every stop seemed to offer something slightly different.  Granted, at some stops we had more than one view - as we had to wait to see anything beyond the snow.  I ended up with a ton of landscape photos from this park.
     One of the "things to do" advertised for this park is horseback riding.  I have to say, I could not imagine riding a horse there - or wanting to.  Nothing about it says "horse terrain."  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
      The dogs finally found a snowbank on the side of the road, and even though on leash, had a brief play tussle before we began the long drive homeward, also in a snowstorm.




Comments

Popular Posts