More Animals on the Island of Aruba

 I was able to find some pelicans on Aruba and get close enough for a photo.  One of the cool things I did see was pelicans fishing, right where I was snorkeling, several times.  I never get a great pelican photo, but I keep trying.

We went to Arikok National Park, to the extent the rental car allowed, and found some wild donkeys and some roaming goats.  The photo here is a silhouette of a goat on a cliff in the park, not far from the rocky cliffs above the ocean.

Luckily, I persuaded my husband to go to the Aruba Donkey Sanctuary as well.  Run by a Dutch woman with her heart in the right place, the sanctuary cares for injured wild donkeys.  Donkeys were brought to the island 500 years ago for labor, and when no longer needed were turned loose.  Many roam wild, often getting hit by cars, etc. so the sanctuary is the only option for them if injured or unable to care for themselves.  Males are neutered at the sanctuary.  Currently it has 109 donkeys.  I bought 5 bags of carrots and visited, and the photo is of one of the donkeys begging for a carrot (his name is Brad Pitt).  Very nice place to visit.


Comments

Popular Posts