Wildlife on Bartolome Island, Galapagos

The first island in the Galapagos we set foot on (aside from Baltra, where the plane landed) was Bartolome.  It doesn't have a ton of wildlife, but it has a boardwalk where you can climb to the top of the island for a famous view of Pinnacle Rock.  (Personally, anything I climb I prefer to have a mammal - or ideally many - at the top, and otherwise it's a bit of a bust.....even though views are nice, they are not always worth the time and effort).  This was not a bad trek though, there was some wildlife along the way - lava lizards, a few birds, a painted grasshopper, ants, and a Galapagos snake. 

Pictured here is a young finch, the first of "Darwin's finches" I saw.  It was sitting on the railing of the walkway and I liked the photo. 

The other photo is the snake - about 2.5 to 3 ft long and the diameter of a pencil.  This was a lucky sighting and the only snake I saw on the islands.

Comments

Popular Posts