White Tipped Reef Shark

I know that many sharks are not to be feared, and I have always wanted to see one snorkeling. I was lucky enough to see this approximately five foot white tipped reef shark while snorkeling, and also lucky enough to get a photo with one of those disposable underwater cameras.  The shark swam under us for a long while, and it was graceful and seemed to be looking for things in the shallower waters.

In the Galapagos, I also saw several Galapagos sharks, but they were circling the boat and I was not in the water with them.  They were large, and gorgeous.  I never did get a photo, but they were really, really neat to see. 

I also saw a giant Eagle Ray - at least 6 feet across.  I watched it move a rock with its nose and look under it on the ocean floor.  It was too deep to get a photo of, and I was surprised how large its head was. 

The snorkeling in Galapagos offered huge numbers of fish, more than I have ever seen elsewhere.  I saw turtles, swam with sea lions every time, and got to see a shark and a ray - doesn't get much better than that!

Comments

Popular Posts