Urban Chicken Community

Tonight I went to an interesting dinner which focused on local food sources and featured a film about urban chicken keeping called "Mad City Chickens."  The film, which was interesting, focused on Madison, WI and its efforts to make keeping chickens in city limits legal again.  It's legal in Boise, and I enjoy having chickens.  My neighbor across the street has them as well.

It's been just over two years now that I've kept chickens.  I've lost three in that time - one with no trace (maybe a hawk?), one to a raccoon I believe, and one to a dog (accident).  In that time I haven't met any other urban chicken people, though I know they are out there.

Tonight it was interesting in that everyone either had chickens or is contemplating getting them.  It was fun to compare notes.  It's an interesting little underground sub-group - urban chicken afficianados.

Comments

Popular Posts