The Perfect Campsite




Friday I was desperate to escape the heat of the City, the noise, and the people. On the spur of the moment we set out to try to find a camping spot in a remote area where we could have some peace and quiet.

We took Highway 55 towards Lowman from Boise, but the trailhead we were going to try and seek out was closed off. So, we went further and ended up in Lowman, then on Forest Service Road 364. I wasn't sure what to expect as there was a campground marked on the map (and we never stay at campgrounds, yuk). What we found were wonderful small, private campsites - no not a developed campground. The first one we came to was too near the road to let the dogs run free without worry. The second one was the PERFECT Idaho campsite.

It offered a stream with a lot of water, and both rocky overlooks and a small, sandy beach with a small trail down to it. It had a soft, level, pine needle padded tent site, a fire pit (though we didn't use it), and it was isolated enough from the road not to be seen. The sound of the water was soothing and the temperature of the evening/night was excellent.

I was surprised at the lush forest undergrowth. There were lots of ferns, brush and wildflowers in addition to pine trees. The river banks had lovely moss covered rocks and overall it offered a perfect Idaho scene. Less than two hours from Boise, it was a great escape.

We spent evening cozy in the tent with the dogs; while they dried off from swimming the river we played cards. It was the best night's sleep I've had in weeks. And, it was close enough to Boise that we got up when it was light and headed home in time to make Farmer's Market on Saturday morning downtown. Idaho is just a staggeringly great place to live.

Comments

snafu918 said…
I'm going to be doing some camping this summer and this campsite sounds great. If you don't mind sharing, do you remember the name of the campground?
Esmae said…
I don't recall it having a name, but if you follow the directions in the post you should find it. It's the second turn on the right and is marked only by a tiny brown picture of a tent on a small square sign. If you don't think you can find it from what's written in the post, let me know and I'll see if my better and less directionally challenged half can add anything that might help.
snafu918 said…
It occurred to me what I would need to find this campground, do you know the name/brand of map that you use? You talked about the site being marked on the map and so if I had the map I'm sure I could find this site without any issue.
Esmae said…
Sorry it took me so long to look this up. I believe we were using the Benchmark Map called Idaho Road and Recreation Atlas. I think you will have no trouble locating it, but if you do let me know.

Popular Posts