Dexter Cow Update



Four months have passed (almost) since Bernadette and Zena came to the ranchette and joined the family. It has been a learning curve, as when we get any new species. I always wanted cows though and I enjoy these minis very much. I have gotten used to the mooing and the low sounds they make to each other. They have gotten used to me, and I can make some physical contact.

I had to find a hoof trimmer, and that was an ordeal in many ways. No one wants to come to Boise to trim one small cow. But eventually someone did - and it was traumatic for the cow and for me. She gets flipped on her side, she is scared, and it is not extra gentle. I did all I could for her and next year I will know more what's going on. It's annual, thank goodness. It is much harder than goat or horse hoof trimming. And those who told me cows don't need trimmed were lying.

We also accomplished annual vaccines, though it took two tries. Turns out a big animal with horns who does not want a shot and is still afraid of people is kind of hard to work with. I did eventually get them calm and keep them safe but I also elected not to get a shot that requires an ear tattoo. It's needed if they travel but I don't see the cows going anywhere unless they live into my retirement. I think that is not going to happen but we can cross that bridge when we come to it. Again, far more work to vaccinate the cows than the other animals.

Zena is almost as big as her mom now, and still nursing in addition to eating hay. I'd think she'd get a crook in her neck but she hasn't. I'm going to let mom wean her when ready - I am in no rush and it makes no different to me so let nature take it's course.

Comments

Taneca said…
I always love reading about your ranchette and your adventures! Thanks! :)
I just found your blog and want to invite you to join our exclusive Localyte network at no cost. By quickly embedding Localyte’s new widget in your site, you can immediately offer value to your readers.

I’ve built Localyte into an active community of over 30,000 local experts around the world who answer travelers’ questions for free. When travelers ask a question, they get an average of five personal responses from locals who share tips and secrets on their home towns. The travelers return again and again to read these responses, creating a unique opportunity for us to promote other products and services related to their destination.

With the Localyte widget on your site, you can also participate in 50% of the revenue we derive from your visitors who ask questions. And your visitor will never have to leave your website to ask their questions. That's it. It’s completely non-competitive and delivers great value to your readers!

If you’re interested in our widget, please just click http://www.localyte.com/getqwidget.php to go directly to the signup page.

This is an invitation-only offering, so please do not forward this to anyone else. However, if you know a friend that might fit well into this concept, please email me at guillermo@localyte.com with friends' names and emails, etc. and I'll reach out to them if there's a fit.

Thank you!

Guillermo Baensch
Chief Executive Officer
http://localyte.com
guillermo@localyte.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/localyte
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Localytecom/40815783

Popular Posts